Employee motivation plays a crucial role in the success of any organization. Employee motivation is basically the driving force that helps your employees to work more efficiently and with full dedication.
If your employees lack motivation in them, then they will work with less productivity. As a result, there will be less output. Hence, the company goals will be delayed.
So, for the best outcomes and high productivity, motivating your employees is a key aspect of achieving success in the company’s goals.
What is Employee Motivation?
Employee motivation is the force that drives your employees towards higher engagement, more commitments, dedication, innovations, more focused, and a higher level of energy at the workplace. All these things take the outcomes and productivity to the next level.
But, maintaining the same motivation in your employees the whole day is not an easy task. Because it’s not mandatory that the task given to a particular employee is of his interest.
And where interest and excitement lack, there will be fewer chances of motivation.
Research by Gallup concluded that only 13% of Employees Are Engaged at Work Worldwide.
Why Employee Motivation is important?
Suppose there are two employees in a company.
The first one lacks motivation and is working against his interests. These types of people damage your company the most.
Due to low levels of motivation, they are working at a slow rate and are emotionally disconnected from their work. Also, they are mostly busy doing the task of their personal interests and just waiting to go back home. They are less productive and hence, their outcomes do not match the company’s standards.
One of the worst things they do is that they negatively influence their co-workers also.
Whereas the second person who is highly motivated will be more enthusiastic, dedicated, focused, and will work with high energy.
These type of people gives the utmost priority to their work and are more productive. They give importance not only to their goals but also to the company’s goals.
From the above instance, you can understand why employee motivation is important.
How to keep your employees motivated?
- Specify the organization’s goals: You must clear the goals of the company to all the employees.
Because employees also want to know if their efforts are driving in the right direction or not.
Also, clear each and every doubt if any regarding the goals of the company. This will make them goal-oriented which is very important in the success of any organization.
- Set Short-Term goals: There is an important role of short-term goals in your success. Breaking your bigger goals into more attainable short-term goals is very helpful in achieving your goal.
These short-term goals will help your employees to regularly hit the target which increases the satisfaction in them for their work. Hence, this will keep them motivated in their day to day life.
- Recognition: When employees see that their seniors are appreciating them for their efforts and giving them recognition, they feel much more motivated and work with more enthusiasm and wholeheartedly.
Anne M. Mulcahy said, “Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person – not just an employee – are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability.”
- Promotional Opportunities: No one wants to be in the same position for their whole life or for a long time period. So, employees must be promoted to the next level according to their skills and efficiency at regular intervals.
Promotion is one of the key aspects to keep your employees motivated.
- Perks and Benefits: Along with promotional opportunities, there must be some perks and benefits for the employees.
These perks can be in any form like salary appraisal, weekend outing, snacks party on the premises, etc.
These small benefits create a better understanding among employees and create a happy environment in the office.
- Teamwork: Teamwork gives an invitation to new innovation. Because when people with different skills come together, there are more chances of creation of innovation.
Another plus point of teamwork is that there is a higher level of motivation as everyone can motivate each other in their specified tasks.
- Take Employees Suggestion: Always try to take suggestions from your employee as it will create a positive environment in the office premises.
And, also employees will get a feeling of respect for them
Also, if you get some suggestions that will be profitable for the organization, give that person a reward. With this reward system, everyone will try to come up with a new idea and all of them automatically will start thinking for the betterment of your organization.
Here, this reward will work as a type of motivation.
Bob Nelson said: “An employee’s motivation is a direct result of the sum of interactions with his or her manager.”
Advantages of Employee Motivation:
There are numerous advantages of Employee motivation and some of the prime advantages are:
- Higher levels of Productivity: As we already know that a motivated person works with more enthusiasm, dedication, and at a faster rate. Therefore, outcomes will be more, and hence, the company will achieve its target faster.
- Reduced cost of operations: Motivated employees can easily see the effect of their work and can easily track the difference they are making in the progress of the company.
This leads to lower training costs for the employees and due to this company’s cost of operations is reduced.
- Stability of WorkForce: We all heard about a saying ” OLD is GOLD”, this holds true in the case of old employees in the organization also.
Because, the older the employee, the more they have the experience, the more it is beneficial for the organization.
Stabilization of employees is also good for the image of the organization. Because nobody wants to stay in a company that does not have a favorable environment for its employees.
So, if a company has older employees then that means they have a good environment for the employees.
- Supportive Hands: When employees remain motivated and in return for their efforts, the employees get respect and recognition.
Then they always offer a supportive hand to the decisions of their seniors. And, we all know changes are a must for the betterment of any organization.
So, motivated employees always support these changes as they know that these changes are not only beneficial for the company but also for their interests.
- Innovations: Motivated employees with their enthusiasm can easily find improvement in any situation or a solution to any problem. Hence, this leads to more innovations.
- No more delays in work: With a higher level of motivation, employees remain happy with their working lives and work more efficiently.
Without any suitable reason, these employees hardly skip any work or delays the work to a later date.
So, we have seen how motivation works in the life of an employee and for the success of any organization.
Therefore, motivating your employees must be on a regular basis.