Before knowing how to get motivated when depressed, let’s go through what depression is?
Depression is when a person is continuously living in a negative state, but the symptoms can be different for one another.
People who are facing depression might feel hopeless, sad, restlessness, or they may have lost interest in the things they love to do.
When people don’t get the required treatment for depression, at its worst, it can even lead to suicide. A report by WHO stated, almost 8,00,000 people die every year due to depression.
Depression can affect anyone in this world irrespective of their success or failures. Because even if you are successful in your life but constantly feeling down, you can be one of them who encounter depression.
One of the most famous people Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression while being the president of The United States Of America.
But to remain successful in your life when you’re facing depression, you need to stay motivated as it will help you to connect with the world.
How to get motivated when depressed?
Here are some key points to get motivated when depressed:
- Regular Exercise: Regular exercises can help you a lot in dealing with depression. Because when you do exercise your body releases endorphins that relieve stress and pain.
Daily workout of about 30 minutes to 60 minutes five days a week helps in making your learning, judgment, and thinking sharp.
And also, it reduces the risk of depression and stress as concluded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Set Small And Specific Goals: When you feel low or sad or dealing with depression, your energy levels automatically drops. Also, Your brain is functioning at 20-30% of its potential instead of 75-85%, so your productivity is also reduced.
Setting small and easy goals can help you a lot with depression.
Like, if you have five tasks to do, complete only one. Task completed, and still want to do more? Then, you can go for one more.
Keep in mind that you can always raise the bar if you feel to do so. This can also help you in increasing your productivity.
- Appreciate yourself: It’s obvious your productivity decreases when you encounter such a situation. So, appreciate yourself for completing every single task (small or big) instead of feeling sad about it.
This will boost your confidence, and you will feel motivated.
- Meditation: Regular meditation helps in getting relief from stress, anxiety, and depression. It also improves focus levels and also changes how the brain responds to stress and depression.
There is proper evidence that meditation helps in depression, and improves focus levels and concentration as stated by Forbes.
- Aim to complete the task, not to enjoy it: When you are depressed, your interest also loses in the things that you used to love to do. Your energy level also drops and you avoid doing things because of less interest in them.
So, begin with an approach to finish the task instead of enjoying it.
- Your Friends And Family: Your friends and family can help you a lot in dealing with depression. People often isolate themselves from family and friends when they are in depression.
So, going out with friends, watching a movie with family, or a cup of coffee with friends can help you connect with the outer world. It will also improve your mood and will create a happy routine for you.
These small routines will help you a lot in relieving your stress and depression.
- Fermented Foods: Well, no food can cure depression as a whole, but yes they can boost your overall mood.
Fermented food like yogurt contains good bacteria that can enhance your overall mood and reduces the symptoms of depression.
Also, foods with high nutritional value like oysters, wild blueberries, salmon, leafy greens, walnuts, beans, etc. can play a bigger role in helping people with depression.
- Schedule Your Routine: When people are in depression, they don’t feel like working. Then, scheduling your day can comfort you.
Accomplishing tasks daily will give you a feel of normalcy in life. So, stick to your schedule even if you feel low or depressed.
But, keep in mind, don’t over-schedule your day else it will create a feeling of fatigue in you that can worsen the situation. Start with only one or two tasks daily.
- Pampering Yourself: Yes, this might feel unrealistic, but it actually works. Pampering yourself like wearing good clothes and accessories, going to the salon, some sort of shopping, etc. really boost your mood.
These things will give a feel that you are already good that will again help in creating a happy routine.
- Good Sleep: A depressed person feels more fatigue which can affect your energy levels.
So, getting a good sleep at night can help with relieving stress and anxiety. The National Sleep Foundation in their new press release recommends that adults aged 18-25 and 26–64 years must get 7–9 hours of sleep per night. However, it varies from person to person.
So, try to get good sleep.
- Confronting Your Fear: Negative emotions and thoughts are normal in this situation but closing your eyes will not work.
Confront your fears and these negative thoughts. Confronting your fears will help you come out of this situation a little faster.
Now, you know how to get motivated when depressed. The above-listed points will provide you daily motivation. These points will also help you a lot in dealing with stress, anxiety, and depression.
Just try to be positive and find something out of these points that work for you. You will surely feel better, and will also start working as you work before.
As I stated earlier, almost 8,00,000 people die every year due to depression. So, don’t take this situation casually and if these things don’t work, I will highly recommend you to consult a doctor.