What is Self-care?
Self-care is taking care of your own physical, mental and emotional well being. But its often considered as a serious topic as everyone is busy in their work, jobs so often it is neglected.
Self-care is not one-time to-do, this is like your daily checklist. You have to be consistent and focused.
Why Self-Care is so important?
Self-care is your me-time that one needs to have to know them better and to stay focused on one’s goals.
Let’s see why it is important.
- Increased self-esteem: When you start taking care of yourself with priority as you, it helps to increase your self-esteem.
- More focused: Self-care helps you to focus on your goals with more precision. As you start giving yourself time, you become clear about your thought process. A clear thought process provides you the vision to see things from a broad perspective. As a result, you feel more focused.
- Feel more energetic: In hectic work schedules, you tend to give priority to your work over you. This priority makes you work until the exhaustion of all your energy. Whereas self-care helps you to replenish your energy before it totally gets drained out by exhausting yourself with the workload. Self-care on daily basis helps you to nourish your body and makes you feel more energetic.
Katie reed said,” Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead what’s left of you.”
- Better health: When you start focusing on yourself, you realize the needs of your body. As a result, you start taking care of yourself. Self-care works as nourishment to your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well being. Consistent self-care lefts you with a very rare chance of poor health. So you can say self-care is equivalent to better health.
As you can see there are a lot of benefits of self-care. So now, the question arises on how you can practice self-care in your life.
Let’s take a look at how you can practice self-care for the emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual well being.
Physical self care
Physical self-care is just not intended to have a slim, curvy model-like body. It is necessary to have a physically fit, disease-free overall healthy body.
Joseph Pilates said, “Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness.”
- You can go to the gym on a regular basis to keep yourself fit. It is a great way to get your desired body if done with the trainer.
- Yoga is another way o keep your body fit. It also helps in increasing focus.
- You can go for a walk on a daily basis. It is also good for diabetic and heart patients.
- Jumba dance is another way to keep you fit. And it is great if you love dancing.
- Running or jogging daily is also a part of physical self-care.
- Cycling keeps your overall body fitness. It is a great way to strengthen your leg muscles.
Buddha said, “To keep the body in good health is a duty…otherwise, we shall not be able to keep the mind strong and clear.”
Emotional self-care is a must to have a perfect balance in your life. If you are emotionally balanced, then your happiness is assured. As your behavior and enthusiasm in life depends on it.
“You can’t control what goes on outside, but you CAN control what goes on inside.”
You can practice the following for emotional self-care.
- Self-love is a must to practice for happiness in your life.
- Always remain in touch with your family and friends. Because they know you and always want the best for you. Meet them regularly whenever you are confused or stressed. Because they will guide you without any judgments.
- Revive your old memories whenever you feel disturbed or a feeling of loneliness comes to your mind. These memories make you realize that you are not alone.
- Don’t burden yourself with guilt. Forgive yourself as you would do to your friends. You are human not a superhero so you can make mistakes. But always take a lesson from your mistakes.
- Appreciate yourself for the little achievements that may not be recognized by people. Because appreciation gives you the motivation to explore new things.
Etty Hillesum once said,” Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.”
- Smile often at yourself standing in front of the mirror. Praise yourself. It helps you to focus on the positive side of your physical appearance.
- Power nap keeps you refresh al day along. You should have 6-7 hours of sleep daily to keep you mentally fresh.
Spiritual self care
Spiritual self-care is not only about awakening your soul and connecting to the ultimate. But it is also about controlling your senses and living in the present.
When you don’t have control over senses you feel like a pendulum ball oscillating between past and future.
John Steinbeck said, “A sad soul can be just as lethal as a germ.”
Spiritual self-care helps you to keep away from stress and anxiety. You can practice the following to do spiritual self-care. It helps you to build values in your life and to be more aware of you.
“Find time to nourish yourself with the pieces of this word that feed your soul.”
- Meditation is the best way for spiritual self-care. You can try different types of meditations like mantra meditation, yoga meditation, and mindfulness meditation.
- Start doing something creative by connecting to music or art.
- Spend sometime around nature enjoying the natural beauty.
- Be humble and kind to the people around you.
You can also practice following 10 self care tips:
- Make reading a habit.
- Go on holiday with your loved ones.
- Eat healthy food and try some natural skin remedies.
- Put a check on your social media and TV shows you are watching. Put a stop on violent shows.
- Play your favorite song and dance like no one is around.
- Help someone if you can, it makes you feel good.
- Take a day off, if you feel low.
- Listen to your favorite track. Feel it.
- Do write something positive daily about yourself.
- Write down everything whatever comes to your mind, whenever you feel worried or confused. Throw it in the dustbin.
Self-care is a practice that you can’t skip. Every single time you practice it, you feel more enthusiastic about your life.
Make your own self-care plan to fit in your schedule and make sure to act on it. This is your body and it is your responsibility to take care of it.
We all came in equal sizes with no distinction. The power is in our hands to make our body and mind beautiful.
Try some of these practices and you can feel the change.