What are Short Term Goals?
As the name signifies, short term goals are the goals that you are going to achieve in a short time frame. This short interval can be some hours, days, or a week.
The main thing in these goals is that you already know how much time will be needed to complete these goals.
In simple words, to achieve our main goal, we break our bigger goal into some easily achievable small targets in a specific period of time
A saying is there, “Short term goal, long term vision.”
Short-term goals also motivate you because whenever you achieve one of the short term goals, you feel happy due to which your body releases some natural chemicals like dopamine or endorphins which is a feel-good neurotransmitter.
These chemicals make some positive changes at your brain level that help in building your confidence about your main aim and hence, you feel motivated.
And, we all know how motivation works in our life to achieve our goals.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said: “It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.”
Why Short Term Goals?
Short-term goals play a crucial role in achieving a bigger goal. These short-term goals are measurable, realistic, and achievable in a specific period of time.
Now, because you already know that you will achieve this short-term goal in this much time. So, you will be more confident about it and, hence will also remain motivated during this specific period of time.
And, also, you already have the list of these short-term goals. So, that means you have a path that you need to follow to achieve your main goal.
Therefore, a lot of energy is saved daily because you have your task in hand daily, Due to which, there is no need to think about what to do today, all you have to do is complete your daily task.
Also, you can keep a check on your daily progress and take new actions.
How to succeed with these Sub Goals?
Tony Robbins says: “People are not lazy. They simply have impotent goals.”
Being passionate about your goals is the key to succeed in your goals. When you set goals that inspire you, your chances of succeeding in them increase automatically. Because when you feel excited about your goals, natural chemicals of your body start releasing that build your confidence and helps you to stay focussed on them.
So, always set goals that inspire you, and the goals for which you are passionate about.
For all this, first, you need to know how to set these short-term goals?
How to set these goals?
Let’s see how to set short-term goals:
- Write down your goals: The first thing you need to do is write down all the goals that you want to achieve in your future.
The power of writing is huge as a study conducted at the Dominican University in California that tells those who write down their goals are 42% more likely to achieve them.
These chances of achieving goals increases if you tell these goals to your friend who has faith in your abilities. (Findings of the same study stated above)
- Assign Deadlines: Now, go through your list and set a period of time in which you can complete each task. But you have to keep in mind that this time period must be realistic.
- Track Your Progress: One of the prime benefits of setting short-term goals is that you can keep a check on your progress.
And, if some problem occurs, you can modify your strategy or can take new actions.
- Gift yourself: A saying is there: “Push yourself because no one else is going to do it for you.”
Before starting your work on a particular short-term goal, decide what will you gift yourself after completing this task.
This will act as a push for you, keeps you excited, and also you will remain motivated in your day to day life which is very important.
Benefits of Short Term goals:
Short-term goals prove beneficial in achieving your long-term goals. Some of the benefits are:
- Creates a Path for you: When you break your goal into smaller goals, then it means you have created a path to success. Now you have to follow it only. Let’s discuss how?
As now you have a list full of tasks that you need to complete to achieve your goal. So, now you have to start working on them one by one as per the strategy and complete them.
All your stress about your daily routine will be eliminated and you will be more focussed on your goals. Hence, you will be more productive now.
These short-term goals will act as stairs for you, just start climbing them one by one with all your dedication and honesty.
- Regular Happiness: Now, because you are working on your short-term goals and completing them one by one. It’s obvious whenever you complete a short-term goal, you will feel happy.
In this way when you will be honest towards your schedule and completing your short-term goals regularly, then you will feel that happiness on a regular basis.
This will create a type of long string of happiness in your life. We all know that if we are happy in our daily life and then our efficiency also enhances.
As studies of positive psychology and neuroscience prove that happiness is a key driver and precursor of success.
- Daily Life Stress Reduced: As you have already assigned the tasks to yourself in the form of these short-term goals. Now, you don’t need to think daily that what should I do today or how to schedule your work?
A lot of stress like this is reduced from your brain. And, now, you will work with more concentration levels and refreshed mind which will again a benefit for you.
- Quality Thinking: As a lot of stress is reduced, your mind can focus more on your work. So it’s quite obvious that a major part of your brain is contributing to your work.
Hence, you will get quality ideas, and that too, more in number.
Now, you are aware of what are short term goals? Why they are important? and how to succeed with them?
So, start working on your short-term goals and get closer to your success. Be focussed, I believe you, you can do it.